Why Buy a Shake Flashlight?Author: My Camping Tents
Most of us are aware of non-battery operated flashlights. These types of flashlights are commonly referred to as shake flashlights, since the charge to operate the flashlight is created by shaking the flashlight for a length of time. There have been plenty of advertisements on television proclaiming how great shake flashlights are. Is this information real or just a fabrication to get consumers to buy? I can certainly understand your hesitation and the unfavorable comments from others, because there are some very poor products out there. Based on my research there are two types of these flashlights on the market – the knockoff, which is considerably cheaper and works poorly and the real Mc Coy. Check the brand names of reputable companies and read the reviews and you'll find that shake flashlights are very practical for everyday use and are second to none for emergency situations.
The pros of the shake flashlight :
- No batteries are needed. A shake flashlight uses the Faraday Electromagnetic Method to recharge the flashlight. The better made shake flashlights can give light for quite sometime with just a few seconds of shaking. They can also hold a charge for weeks once they're charged, so it turns on immediately.
- Built for rugged use. Shake flashlights can take some abuse since they are housed in a shatterproof casing – like being dropped on a hard floor or concrete without damage. They also work well in extreme hot or cold temperatures.
- Water resistant. You can drop a shake flashlight into water and it will not only float, but will continue to work.
- LED bulb works a long time. The LED bulb will work for years before needing to be replaced.
- Great emergency flashlight. There's nothing worse than really needing something in an emergency situation and when you try to use it, it doesn't work. With conventional flashlights there's always that chance of the batteries being dead when you need them the most.
The cons of the shake flashlight:
- Since shake flashlights use strong magnets, they must be kept away from watches,
computers, credit cards, pacemakers, etc.
Remember the shake flashlights provide so many advantages over regular flashlights that it seems to be worth the small cost for a quality flashlight to try one out.
I've been tent camping for over 35 years and as a retired Airborne Ranger, have experience in wilderness survival. We carry a nice selection of camping gear from tents to flashlights at reasonable prices. Check us out!